For about 10 years, I only ate chicken…
No steak, No hamburgers & etc.
I’m pretty sure it drove my father nuts, ‘we live in Alberta, home of Alberta ‘AAA’ Beef. How can you not eat it’… Alberta beef is top-rated and seemingly a highlight when the relatives visit from Ontario. Even now, it rare for me to eat anything other than chicken… the odd steak with my father and the every once-and-while hamburger.
I’m pretty sure I would have gone vegetarian if I had figured out how to do so properly and if my family hadn’t refused tofu. Mind you, I really don’t have much of liking for it either. It was ruined by a horrible attempt by my mom, which completely turned off everyone. So chicken breast remained in my diet as protein, making sure my body got what it needed.
But do our bodies really need meat? Look at where we’ve come from… How did we start? Leaves, Nuts, Berries… I wonder when man first looked at another animal and thought to himself ‘I should eat that’… But somewhere along the line we became this all-consuming species. Seemingly the only places we haven’t taken over yet is the places we haven’t figured out how to reach yet, which are far and few inbetween.
Now I find myself in sort of moral dilemma, sitting watching Food Inc last night, they showed chickens being farmed (grown) in mass production in horrible conditions. They cut to a farm doing it right, the way it should be done in all cases. Natural. They killed their chicken the best way possible, quick and painless; slicing it’s head off. I couldn’t watch. I’m grateful for the life that is given but I don’t feel its right to consume something that I can’t watch the death of.
Now sitting here debating what to do…
Do I de-sensitize myself to the killing of an animal or do I re-work my diet, which seems quite daunting?
Must ponder more.
No comments:
Post a Comment